Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember

A post about the anniversary of 9/11 was one of the last posts I made on my old blog. It's hard to believe that was 3 years ago, and even harder to believe that 9/11 was eight years ago. So much has changed for me personally in the past 8 years -my job (twice) , my address (twice), my status as an aunt (twice) and my status as a parent ( twice? almost.)

It's amazing though, how much I remember about that day eight years ago.

I remember-
the blue skies that day...that my co-worker Alaina was the one to tell me what was going on...calling Kevin to make sure he was watching TV...receiving calls from friends and family who couldn't believe what had happened and who just wanted to talk to the people they loved...the L&C tower being evacuated....the panic on everyone's face as they looked up at the roofs of buildings....

I remember-
getting out of downtown with Sandy for lunch...trying (and failing) to act normally during a job interview I had that afternoon.. the pinstripe jacket I wore to the interview....the long lines at the gas pumps...Keisha coming over to watch the coverage...the peace rally...how strangers spoke to each other in the elevator the next day... a friend's child's drawing of a plane and a building...

I remember-
how scared I was when I flew 3 weeks later...how 107.5 played the Star-Spangled Banner every morning for a while afterwards....feeling lucky...and then guilty about feeling lucky....Tom Brokaw crying (did that really happen?)...and all the missing posters.
May we never forget. God bless us all.


No comments: