Monday, September 29, 2008

Cancer sucks

Cancer took both of my grandmothers. One when I was seven years old, and one when I was 33. On Labor Day weekend this year, it took my friend Jason. And now every day I watch my boss struggling with it. Struggling to hold it together when she talks about what will happen. Struggling to walk. Struggling to think clearly. Struggling to complete tasks at work. Struggling to even make it into work. Struggling to get to treatment. Struggling to just keep going.

I don't have anything especially profound or insightful to say about any of this. Just that it sucks to see people hurting. It sucks to feel helpless and scared. It sucks that there's not a cure. It sucks that sometimes it seems like cancer is everywhere.

It really puts things into perspective, and reminds me that life is short, our times together are precious, and you just never know what's around the corner.

No comments: